What Are Physician Extenders?
Physician Extenders play a critical role to help assure that patients at Austin Heart are provided with the highest quality of care. Your cardiologist may work with a Physician Assistant (PA), Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS).
All three disciplines have completed bachelor's degrees and some also have master's degrees, and they are also licensed by the State of Texas. All have had rigorous clinical training and have taken national board exams to certify them in their areas of expertise and must complete a set curriculum of continuing education each year, just as each of our cardiologists is required to do.
While Physician Extenders do not perform cardiovascular procedures, they do participate in all other aspects of evaluation and treatment of our patients. This team approach has proven to enhance the high standard of care Austin Heart strives to achieve.
Services provided by Physician Extenders include:
- Obtaining medical histories and performing physical examinations;
- Ordering and interpreting certain diagnostic studies;
- Prescribing or recommending medication;
- Encouraging positive health behaviors and self-care skills through education and counseling;
- Collaborating with physicians to implement comprehensive health care plans dedicated to improving patient health and quality of life.