- Austin Heart has a large clinical cardiology research program with more than 20 years of national and international research experience.
- Austin Heart physicians are currently involved in over 50 trials ranging from local investigator-initiated pilot studies to landmark multi-center international trials.
- Our research encompasses all disciplines of cardiology, including:
- Peripheral and coronary angiogenesis, including research involving gene transfer, growth factors and stem cell therapy;
- Stem cell therapy for limb salvage in patients with peripheral arterial occlusive disease and myocardial repair in patients with recent myocardial infarction;
- Austin Heart was chosen as one of only 10 sites in the United States for Phase 1 stem cell research for patients with myocardial infarction
- Austin Heart was the first among all centers worldwide to enroll a Phase 2 study patient
- Major contributions to the validation of the use of stents versus traditional endarterectomy surgery for the treatment of carotid artery stenosis;
- Advancing diagnostic testing capability through advanced lab testing, genetic studies;
- Nuclear/PET testing, intra-vascular ultrasound (IVUS), and optical coherence tomography (OCT);
- Testing new medications for hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis, congestive heart failure, anti-coagulation, and anti-platelet therapy.
Ben Vouk, CCRC
Phone (512) 421-3851
Fax (512) 421-3827