Dr. Thomas Carlson is originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and received his medical degree from the University of Minnesota Medical School in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He served his residency in Internal Medicine at Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland AFB, TX. He completed his fellowship in Cardiology at Texas Heart Institute / St. Luke's Episcopal in Houston, TX. He completed his fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at Scripps Clinic/Research Foundation in LaJolla, California. Dr. Carlson's areas of special interest are in acute coronary syndromes, peripheral vascular disease, and Intravascular Brachytherapy. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and in the subspecialty of Cardiovascular Disease and Interventional Cardiology.
Awards and Special Recognition:
- Selected for inclusion Super Doctors® 2011-2012, 2014, Texas Monthly Magazine
Coronary/Peripheral Vascular Interventions
Wine, gourmet cooking, and cycling
- American College of Cardiology, Fellow
- International Society of Cardiovascular Interventionalists, Member
- International Society of Endovascular Specialists, Member
- Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions, Fellow
- Society of Air Force Physicians, Member
- Society of USAF Flight Surgeons, Member
- Texas Heart Institute Cardiac Society, Member
- Texas Medical Association,Member
- KUT (NPR)
- Burns D, Goldenberg I, Pedersen W, Siebold C, Madison J, Joyce L, Carlson T, Walker M, Hunn D, Gobel F, Pritzker M. Hemodynamic effect of the Jarvik 7-70. International Symposium on Heart Failure- Mechanisms and Management, Jerusalem, Israel; May 24, 1989
- Carlson TA, Goldenberg IF, Eaton B, Arom KV, Pederson W, Walker M, VanTassel RA, Nicoloff DM, Gobel FL, Scheurer E, Kiser JC, Kelly WD, Emery RW. Replacement of the ascending aorta and aortic valve with the St. Jude?s Medical (Bileaflet valve) composite graft. Clin Res 1988;36:816A.
- Hunn D, Bullemer F, Siebold C, Roeller S, Pecha R. Pedersen W, Eaton B, Carlson TA, Burns DE, Walker M, Goldenberg IF. Comparsion of thermodilution cardiac outputs obtained from a centrally placed introducer sheath and from the right arterial port of a Swan-Ganz catheter. Circulation 1988;78:II-2.
- Mooney MR, Mooney JF, Madison JD, VanTassel RA, Gobel FL, Longe TF, Brandenburg RO Jr., Carlson TA, Walker M, Nelson RR, Kane MA, Jorgensen CR, Pritzker MR, Goldenberg IF. Intravenous thrombolysis followed by delayed percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty; in-hospital outcomes. Cardiol & CV Surg Interventions 1988:88
- Streitz D, Goldenberg IF, Siebold C, Madison K, VanTassel P, Walker M, Samii M, Bullemer F, Mruz G, Pederson W, Carlson TA, Burns DE, Eaton B, VanTassel R, Madison JD, Gobel FL. Characteristics of patients undergoing coronary angiography and/or left ventriculography who develop ventricular tachyarrhythmias associated with cardiovascular collapse. Clin Res 1988;36:829A.
- VanTassel P, Goldenberg I, Madison K, Siebold C. Streitz D, Mruz G, Tadavarthy SM, Murray PD, Finstad JE, Samii M, Walker M, Koelz TJ, Madison JD, Gobel FL, Daniel JA, Brandenburg RO Jr., Carlson T, VanTassel RA. Reduction of coronary artery dissection by soft-tipped coronary artery catheters. Cath CV Diag 1988;(3):205-6.
- Komadina KH, Strollo PJ, Navratil D, Carlson TA. An Electrophysiologic study of the effects of aminophylline and metaproterenol on canine myocardium. ARRD 1990;141(4):A502
- Carlson TA, Ferguson JJ for the Intracoronary t-PA Registry Investigators. Clinical Experience with intracoronary t-PA: results of a multicenter registry. JACC 1994;23(I):405A.
- Carlson TA, Guarneri EM, Stevens KM, Norman SL, Schatz RA. ?T-Stenting?: The Answer to bifurcation lesions? Circulation 1996;94(8):I-86-87.
- Gowda MS, Loeb AL, Carlson TA, Crouse LJ, Kramer PH. Comparison of arteriography, color flow duplex imaging, and intravascular ultrasound in the detection of renal artery fibromuscular dysplasia. Presented at the American Heart Association 73rd Scientific Session, November 12-15, 2000, New Orleans, LA.
- Strickler DG, Greer T, Carlson TA, Kramer PH, Crouse LJ. Assessment of coronary artery disease using real time perfusion imaging: Comparison with stress echocardiography and cardiac catheterization. Presented at the American Heart Association 73rd Scientific Session, November 12-15, 2000, New Orleans, LA.
- Emery RW, VonRueden TJ, Goldenberg IF, Carlson TA, Arom KV. Replacement of the Aortic Root with a Composition Graft and Coronary Artery Reimplantion. CH. 24 in The Aortic Valve, RW Emery and KV Arom, eds. Hanley and Belfus, Philadelphia, PA 1991
- Burns DE, Pritzker MR, Joyce LD, Hunn D, Mooney M, Madison J, Johnson K, Madison C, Pedersen W, Carlson TA, Gordon M, Walker M, Gobel F, Goldenberg IF. Hemodynamic Effect of the Jarvik 7-70: The Minneapolis Heart Institute Experience. Heart Failure-Mechanisms and Management, BS Lewis and A Kimchi, eds. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany 1991.
- Carlson T, Busian M, Musty M, Merrild B, Daniel J, Gobel F. Silent myocardial ischemia. Bulletin of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation 1987;5(1):12-19.
- Carlson TA, Goldenberg IF, Murray PD, Tadavarthy SM, Walker M, Gobel FL. Catheter-induced delayed recurrent pulmonary artery hemorrhage: Intervention with therapeutic embolism of the pulmonary artery. JAMA 1989;261(13):1943-45.
- Komadina KH, Carlson TA, Strollo PJ, Navratil D. An electrophysiologic study of the effects of aminophylline and metaproterenol on canine myocardium. Chest 1992;101:232-38.
- The Intracoronary t-PA Registry Investigators. Clinical experience with intracoronary t-PA; results of a multi-center registry. Catheter Cardiovascular Diagn 1995;34(3):196-201. Ozdil E, Carlson TA, Massumi A. Use of amiodarone in the post-myocardial infarction patient. Texas Heart Institute J 1995;22(1):40-43
- Clark M, Cushman L, Carlson TA. Interventional recovery outside the walls of an intensive care environment. Crit Care Nurs Q 1997;19(4):42-47.
- Carlson TA, Terstein PS, the ?Concorde? stent: a novel use of a stiff bent guidewire of facilitate stent deployment. Catheter Cardiovascular Diagn 1997;40(3):277-280.
- Lauer WJ, Carlson TA. Myocardial bridging. Circulation 1998;98(8):821-822.
- Furgerson JL, Sample SA, Gilman JK, Carlson TA. Complete heart block and polymorphic ventricular tachycardia complicating myocardial infarction after occlusion of the first septal perforator with coronary stenting. Catheter Cardiovascular Diagn 1998;44(4):434
Multi-Center Clinical Trial Publications:
- Silva JA, Ramee SR, Kuntz R, Dandreo K, Popma J for the VeGas-II Investigators. Mechanical thrombectomy using the AngioJet catheter in the treatment of acute myocardial infarction. JACC 1998;31(2):410A-411A.
Wilford Hall, Lackland AFB, TX
Texas Heart Institute, St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX
Certifications & Memberships
Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Diseases, Interventional Cardiology
Peripheral Vascular Interventions
Austin Heart – Central Park Building
900 W. 38th St
Austin, TX 78705
Phone: (800) 803-6960
Mon – Fri: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Appointments Phone Hours: Mon – Fri: 8:00am – 5:00pm