Marble Falls, 78654
About Yan Liu
Dr. Liu completed his medical training and cardiology fellowship from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he served as chief cardiology fellow and clinical assistant professor. Prior to that, he received a PhD in Immunology from Duke University and completed his internal medicine residency in Austin, Texas with University of Texas Southwestern.
Dr. Liu is a general cardiologist with board certifications in Cardiovascular Disease, Echocardiogram, Nuclear Cardiology, Vascular ultrasound and Internal medicine. He has contributed many high-impact studies to the fields of cardiovascular disease, aging and cancer, and has an additional interest in advanced cardiovascular care in cancer patients (cardio-oncology).
He is married with two children and enjoys sports, music, traveling and spending time with family.
Media Features/News Coverages
Tracking down your daily steps- 15,000 steps a new goal? 4/15/2017 , KXAN News, Austin, TX
Heart Health: cardiovascular disease and common pain killers 4/1/2017, KTBC Fox 7, Austin, TX
National Wear Red Day: Raising awareness about women heart health 2/3/2017, KXAN, Austin, TX
Cardiologist gives tips on heart health, impact it makes on life. 2/28/2017, “Lampasas Dispatch Record”, Lampasas, TX
No Excuses. Just Walk for a Healthier Heart 2/22/2017, “The Picayune”, Marble Falls, TX
Heart Disease is No. 1 Killer But Not First on Women’s Minds 2/16/2017, “The Picayune”, Marble Falls, TX
Hope for test to measure ageing—on Liu Y et al, Aging Cell. 6/19/2009. BBC World News
How Old Are You Inside? Blood Test May Tell. 6/18/2009 WebMD
Mechanistic Link Between Genetic Variation and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease Identified- on Liu Y, Sanoff, HK, Cho H, Burd CE et al, PLoS ONE 2009 and Burd CE, Jeck WR, Liu Y et al, PLoS Genet. 2010. ScienceDaily. 12/2/2010.
- Misenheimer JA, Liu Y, Means G, Kaul P, and Yeung M. Pneumopericardium Secondary to Gastro-Pericardial Fistula Presenting as Acute Pericarditis with Evidence of Cardiac Tamponade. J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. In press
- Clark AL, Liu Y, Katz JN, Stouffer GA. Biventricular Stress-induced Cardiomyopathy and Cardiogenic Shock Secondary to Rheumatoid Arthritis Flare. J Clin Exp Cardiolog 2016; 7:461
- Liu Y, Mingyu Zhang. IFNα21 Correlates with ARF and non-coding RNA ANRIL Expression and the Age of CAD Onset in Han Chinese. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66(16_S)
- Liu Y, Dai Xuming. Fellow-Initiated Clinical Trials: Opportunities, Challenges and Strategies. J Am Coll Cardiol, 2015;66(3):324-327
- Liu Y, Jolly S, and Pokala K, Prolonged Paroxysmal Sympathetic Storming Associated with Spontaneous Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Case Reports in Medicine, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/358182
- Liu Y and Miller BW. ALCAPA Presents in an Adult with Exercise Intolerance but Preserved Cardiac Function. Case Reports in Cardiology, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/471759
- Nelson JE, Krishnamurthy J, Menezes P, Liu Y, Hudgens MG, Sharpless NE, Eron JJ. (2012) Expression of p16INK4a correlates with increasing age and decreased CD4 count in patients on effective ART. Aging Cell, 2012 Oct;11(5):916-8
- Liu Y, Johnson SM, Fedoriw Y, Rogers A, Yu H, Krishnamurthy J and Sharpless NE. Expression of p16INK4a prevents cancer and promotes aging in lymphocytes. Blood. 2011 Mar 24;117(12):3257-67. Commentary: Eshraghi P, Rudolph KL. Lineage-specific pleiotropy in immune aging. Blood. 2011 Mar 24;117(12):3250-1.
- Kuo CL, Murphy AJ, Sayers S, Li R, Yvan-Charvet L, Davis JZ, Krishnamurthy J, Liu Y, Puig O, Sharpless NE, Tall AR, Welch CL. Cdkn2a Is an Atherosclerosis Modifier Locus That Regulates Monocyte/Macrophage Proliferation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2011 Nov;31(11):2483-2492.
- Burd CE, Jeck WR, Liu Y, Sanoff HK, Wang Z, Sharpless NE. Expression of Linear and Novel Circular Forms of an INK4/ARF-Associated Non-Coding RNA Correlates with Atherosclerosis Risk. PLoS Genet. 2010 Dec 2;6(12):e1001233
- Liu Y and Sharpless NE. Tumor suppressor mechanisms in immune aging. Current Opinion in Immunology. 2009 Aug; 21(4): 431-439
- Song Z, von Figura G, Liu Y, Kraus JM, Torrice C, Dillon P, Rudolph-Watabe M, Ju Z, Kestler HA, Sanoff H, Lenhard Rudolph K. Lifestyle impacts on the aging-associated expression of biomarkers of DNA damage and telomere dysfunction in human blood. Aging Cell. 2010 Aug;9(4):607-15
- Liu Y., Sanoff, HK, Cho H, Burd CE, Torrice C, Ibrahim JG, Thomas NE, and Sharpless NE. (2009) Expression of p16INK4a in peripheral blood T-cells is a biomarker of human aging. Aging cell. 2009 Aug; 8(4): 439-448
- Liu Y, Sanoff, HK, Cho H, Burd CE, Torrice C, Mohlke KL, Ibrahim JG, Thomas NE, and Sharpless NE. INK4/ARF transcript expression is associated with chromosome 9p21 variants linked to atherosclerosis. PLoS ONE. 2009 Apr; 4(4): 5027.
- Tsygankov D, Liu Y, Sanoff HK, Sharpless NE, Timothy CE. A Quantitative Model for Age-Dependent Expression of the p16INK4a Tumor Suppressor. PNAS. 2009 Sep;106(39):16562-7.
- Liu Y and Zhang W. Identification of a new transmembrane adaptor protein that constitutively binds Grb2 in B cells. J Leu Bio. 2008 Sep; 84(3):842-51.
- Liu Y, Zhu M, Nishida K, Hirano T, Zhang W. An essential role for RasGRP1 in mast cell function and IgE-mediated allergic response. J Exp Med. 2007 Jan; 204(1):93-103.
- Guo XC, O'Brien SJ, Winkler C, Scott K, Hutcheson H, David V, Kessing B, Zheng YM, Liao J, Liu Y, Guy de T, Zeng Y. [Association study of chromosome 4 STRs polymorphisms with nasopharyngeal carcinoma] Yi Chuan (Genetics). 2006 Jul; 28(7):783-90.
- Guo XC, Scott K, Liu Y, Dean M, David V, Nelson GW, Johnson RC, Dilks HH, Lautenberger J, Kessing B, Martenson J, Guan L, Sun S, Deng H, Zheng Y, de The G, Liao J, Zeng Y, O'Brien SJ, Winkler CA. Genetic factors leading to chronic Epstein-Barr virus infection and nasopharyngeal carcinoma in South East China: study design, methods and feasibility. Hum Genomics. 2006 Jun; 2(6):365-75
- Zhu M, Koonpaew S, Liu Y, Shen S, Denning T, Dzhagalov I, Rhee I, Zhang W. Negative regulation of T cell activation and autoimmunity by the transmembrane adaptor protein LAB. Immunity. 2006 Nov; 25(5):757-68.
- Zhu M, Rhee I, Liu Y, Zhang W. Negative regulation of FcRI-mediated signaling and mast cell function by the adaptor protein LAX. J Biol Chem. 2006 Jul; 281(27):18408-13.
- Zhu M, Shen S, Liu Y, Granillo O, Zhang W. Cutting Edge: Localization of linker for activation of T cells to lipid rafts is not essential in T cell activation and development. J Immunol. 2005 Jan; 174(1):31-5.
- Zhu M, Liu Y, Koonpaew S, Granillo O, Zhang W. Positive and negative regulation of FcRI-mediated signaling by the adaptor protein LAB/NTAL. J Exp Med. 2004 Oct; 200:991-1000.
National / International Conference Talks
- 2015 Speaker. IFNα21 Correlates with ARF and non-coding RNA ANRIL Expression and the Age of CAD Onset in Han Chinese. GW-ICC APHC/ICCPR 2015- 26th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Asia Pacific Heart Congress and International Congress of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation. Beijing, China
- 2015 Session Moderator. New Technologies in Cardiology. GW-ICC APHC/ICCPR-9th Five-Continent International Conference on Cardiovascular disease. 2015. 26th Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Asia Pacific Heart Congress and International Congress of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation. Beijing, China
- 2014 Presenter/Commentator, Challenging Cases in Pulmonary Hypertension, 6th Annual North Carolina Pulmonary Hypertension Symposium, Durham, NC
- 2013 Invited Plenary Session Speaker. iPhone app for evidence-based clinical decision-making and education. Academic Internal Medicine Week 2013. The Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (APDIM) Meeting 2013, New Orleans, LA
- 2008 Plenary Talk Speaker, Expression of p16INK4a in peripheral blood T-cells is a biomarker of human aging. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Meeting-Molecular Genetics of Aging. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Harbin Medical School, China
Internal Medicine: University of Texas Southwestern, Austin, TX
Cardiovascular Disease: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Certifications & Memberships
- Board Certified - Internal Medicine - American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certified - Echocardiography - National Board of Echocardiography
- Board Certified - Nuclear Cardiology - Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology
- Board Certified - Cardiovascular Disease
- Board Certified - Physician Vascular Interpretation
- Fellow of American College of Cardiology (FACC)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine (University of North Carolina School of Medicine)
- Texas Medical Association
- Burnet Lampasas County Medical Society
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American Society of Nuclear Cardiology
English, Chinese, Cantonese
102 Max Starcke Dam Rd
Marble Falls, $state 78654
Phone: (830) 798-2082
Fax: (830) 693-0040