Frank J Zidar, MD
Dr. Frank Zidar is originally from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. He received his undergraduate degree with Honors at Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts. He then received his Medical Degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Dr. Zidar began his eight years of post-graduate training with an Internal Medicine residency at the University of Michigan Health System in Ann Arbor, Michigan where he was selected to serve an additional year as Chief Medical Resident. This was followed by a Cardiology fellowship at Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Zidar then completed a second fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. Dr. Zidar is American Board of Internal Medicine certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Disease. He is also board certified in Nuclear Cardiology and Interventional Cardiology. Dr. Zidar is the Medical Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratories at the Heart Hospital of Austin and is the Director of Interventional Services at Austin Heart. His training and research have led to his appointment as Principal Investigator in many clinical trials involving advanced interventional devices and technology. He is recognized nationally as a leader in the field of Carotid Artery Stenting. Other areas of expertise and interest include complex coronary and peripheral vascular intervention and catheter therapies for aortic valve stenosis. He enjoys swimming, boating and trying to keep up with his three daughters.
Swimming, Boating and Family
- American Medical Association, Member
- Texas Medical Association, Member
- Travis County Medical Society, Member
- American College of Cardiology, Member
- Society of Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Member
- "Clinical trial uses new device to treat severe hypertension" - December 13, 2012 (http://www.kvue.com/news/Clinical-Trial-uses-new-non-invasive-device----not-pills----to-treat-severe-hypertension--183417341.html)
- "4-year-old beats heart complications: Heart Ball focuses on childrens heart health" - May 13, 2011 (KXAN, Austin, TX, http://www.kxan.com/dpp/health/4-year-old-beats-heart-complications)
- "A Hyde Park Field Trip to Impact the Heart" - February 23, 2011 (Hyde Park Baptist News, Austin, TX, http://www.hpbs.org/pages/page.asppage_id=143018)
- "Heart attack victim helps others" - March 4, 2010 (KXAN, Austin, TX, http://www.kxan.com/dpp/health/heart-attack-victim-helps-others)
- "AEDs - safety measures in place for Austonian" - March 30, 2010 (FOX7, Austin, TX, http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/good_day/033010-Safety-Measures-in-Place-for-Austonian)
- "American Heart Association - Mission Lifeline" - February 12, 2010 (Community Impact, Austin, TX, http://impactnews.com/central-austin/284-nonprofit-profile/7104-american-heart-associations-mission-lifeline)
- "Heart Hospital of Austin holds event for American Heart Month" - February 3, 2010 (Community Impact, Austin, TX, http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/258-recent-news/7010-heart-hospital-of-austin-holds-event-for-american-heart-month)
- "Bridge Point Elementary Science Day - How to Fix a Broken Heart" - January 29, 2010 (Austin American Statesman, Austin, TX, http://galleries.statesman.com/gallery/bridge-point-elementary-science-day-012910/#58060)
- "Economy cures health care careers" - May 8, 2009 (KXAN, Austin, TX, http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/Economy_cures_health_care_careers)
- "The cost of lighting up goes up" - March 31, 2009 (Your News Now, Austin, TX, http://austin.ynn.com/content/236637/the-cost-of-lighting-up-goes-up)
- "Stereotaxis first CTO crossing procedure received FDA approval" - January 12, 2009 (Hospital & Healthcare Management, http://www.hhmglobal.com/knowledge-bank/news/stereotaxis-first-cto-crossing-procedure-received-fda-approval)
- "New type of artery surgery in Austin" - January 9, 2009 (KXAN, Austin, TX, http://www.kxan.com/dpp/health/New_type_of_artery_surgery_in_Austin)
- "Austin hospital 1st in world to use new heart device" - January 9, 2009 (Your News Now, Austin, TX, http://austin.ynn.com/content/228674/austin-hospital-1st-in-world-to-use-new-heart-device)
- "Red Bull: Drink at Your Own Health Risk" - January 2009 (Austin Fit Magazine, Austin, TX, http://www.austinfitmagazine.com/Health/Health+News/2009/January/Red+Bull-Drink-at-Your-Own-Health-Risk.html)
- "Identifying Heart Disease" - June 2008 (KUT Radio 90.5 (NPR), Austin, TX)
- "Identifying Heart Disease" - June 2008 (KEYE, Austin, TX, http://www.austinheart.com/displaypage.aspCODE=000100003300202)
- "Hospital Expansion and Live Case" - February 2008 (KUT Radio 90.5 (NPR), Austin, TX)
- Vivekananthan DP, Bhatt DL, Chew DP, Zidar FJ, Chan AW, Moliterno DJ, Ellis SG, Topol EJ. Effect of Clopidogrel Pretreatment on Periprocedural Rise in C-Reactive Protein After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. American Journal of Cardiology (2004) 94 : 358-3600.
- Narizhneva NV, Byers-Ward VJ, Quinn MJ, Zidar FJ, Plow EF, Topol EJ, Byozova TV: Molecular and Functional Differences Induced in Trombospondin-1 by the Single Nucleotide Polymorphism Associated with the Risk of Premature, Familial Myocardial Infarction. Journal of Biological Chemistry (2004) 279 (20) : 21651-2165
- Zidar FJ, Moliterno DJ, Bhatt DL, Marchant KK, Plow EF, Topol EJ: High-dose Clopidogrel Loading Reduces Both Platelet Inflammatory Marker Expression and Aggregation [Abstract] : Journal of the American College of Cardiology (2004) 43 (5-suppl A) : 64A.
- Quinn MJ, Bhatt DL, Zidar FJ, Vivekananthan D, Chew DP, Ellis SG, Plow E, Topol EJ: Effect of Clopidogrel Pretreatment on Inflammatory Marker Expression in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. American Journal of Cardiology (2004) 93 : 697-684.
- Zidar FJ, Quinn MJ, Bhatt DL, Vivekananthan D, Aronow HD, Ellis SG, Plow E, Topol EJ: Clopidogrel Pretreatment reduces Platelet Inflammatory Marker Expression in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention [Abstract] : Journal of the American College of Cardiology (2003) 41 (6-suppl A) : 45A.
- Vivekananthan DP, Bhatt DL, Chew DP, Zidar FJ, Chan AW, Moliterno DJ, Ellis SG, Topol EJ: Clopidogrel Pretreatment Pretreatment Attenuates Preiprocedural Rise in C-Reactive Protein After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention [Abstract]: Journal of the American College of Cardiology (2003) 41 (6-suppl A): 24A.
- Girod JP, Messerli AW, Zidar FJ, Tang WHW, Brenner SJ: Tako-Tsubo-Like Transient Left Ventricular Dysfunction. Circulation (2003) 107 : 120e-121.
- Zidar FJ, Kaplan BM, ONeill WW, Jones DE, Schreibner TL, Safian RD, Ajluni SC, Sobolski J, Timmis GC, Grines CL: A Prospective Randomized Trial of Prolonged Intracoronary Infusion for Chronic Total Occlusions in Native Coronary Arteries. Journal of the American College of Cardiology (1996) 27 (6) : 1406-1412.
- Grines CL, Schreiber TL, Savas V, Jones DE, Zidar FJ, Gangadharam V, Brodsky M, Levin R, Purchrowicz-Ochocki S, Castellani MD, ONeill WW: A Randomized Trial of Ionic versus Nonionic Contrast Media in Patients with Myocardial Infarction or Unstable Angina Undergoing Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty. Journal of the American College of Cardiology (1996) 27 (6) : 1381-1386.
- Kaplan BM, Jones DE, Zidar FJ, Schreiber TL, Timmis GC, Grines CL: Clinical and Angiographic Followup to a Randomized Trial of Prolonged Urokinase Infusion for Chronic Total Occlusion in Native Coronary Arteries. [Abstract] Circulation (1995) 92 (8, pt1) : I-784.
- Kaplan BM, Zidar FJ, Jones DE, ONeill WW, Schreiber TL, Timmis GC, Grines CL: A Prolonged Intracoronary Infusion of Urokinase for Chronic Total Occlusions: Case Reviews. Journal of Invasive Cardiology (1995) 7 (suppl E) : 21-25.
- Ajluni SC, Jones DE, Zidar FJ, Puchrowicz-Ochocki S, Margulis A. ONeill WW, Grines CL: Prolonged Urokinase Infusion for Chronic Total Native Coronary Occlusions - Clinical, Angiographic, and Treatment Observations. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Diagnosis (1995) 34 (2) : 106-110.
- Zidar FJ, Schreiber T, Jones D, Puchrowicz-Ochocki S, Ajluni SC, Hollingswoth V, Timmis GC, Sobolski J, Grines CL: A Prospective Randomized Trial of Prolonged Urokinase Infusion for chronic Total Occlusion in Native Coronary Arteries. [Abstract] Circulation (1993) 88 (4, pt 2) : I-505.
- Grines, CL, Zidar FJ, Jones DJ, Castellani MD, Savas V, Schrieber T, Gangadharan V, Brodsky M, Levin R, Timmis GC: A Randomized Trial of Ionic versus Nonionic Contrast in Myocardial Infarction or Unstable Angina Patients Undergoing Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA). [Abstract] Circulation (1993) 88 (4, pt 2) : I-352.
- Tarle SA, Davidson BL, Wu VC, Zidar FJ, Seegmiller E, Kelley WN, and Palella TD: Determination of the Mutations Responsible for the Lesch-Nyhan Syndrome in Seventeen Subjects. Genomics (1991) 10 : 499-501
- Rao SV, Zidar FJ, Zidar JP. Iliac Angioplasty and Stenting. In: Douglas J, Yeung A, and King S, editors. Peripheral Vascular Intervention, 1st ed. (in press).
- Zidar FJ, Lincoff AM. Thrombolytic Therapy. In: Fuster V, Topol EJ, Nabel EG, editors. Atherothrombosis and Coronary Artery Disease. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2004.
- Zidar FJ. Peripheral Vascular Disease. In: Topol EJ, Griffin B, editors. The Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2004.
Medical Education & Training
Medical School: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
Residency: University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI
Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
Specialty Board Certifications: Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Nuclear Cardiology
Frank J Zidar, MD
See more Interventional Cardiology Physicians
Frank J Zidar, MD
3801 N. Lamar, Suite 300
Austin, TX 78756
Phone: (512) 206-3600
Fax: (512) 206-3604
Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm